Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Broken tweeter

  1. #1
    Inactive Member acre's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 8th, 2003
    Posts
    80
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi guys! I have a small problem. One of my 806-8A HF drivers isn't working. I opened it up and discovered that one of the leads has broken and needs to be re-soldered. The diaphram is in perfect condition and there is enough viable ends to make the connection. How is this done? It appears to be a small ribbon of copper and I've tried soldering these before with conventional solder and it failed. I just melted the lead. Perhaps I should give it to a qualified electronics repair shop? Thanks....Lee

  2. #2
    HB Forum Owner Todd W. White's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 5th, 2002
    Posts
    1,865
    Follows
    1
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

    Post

    This is normal for the old-style leads - they flex to the point of breaking.

    Altec fixed this in the 1980's with a different lead-in arrangement.

    Your options:

    1. Replace the diaphragm with a new one from Great Plains Audio.

    2. Send it in to GPA for a rebuild.

    Advantages of #2 over #1 = the work is guaranteed, as is the part, PLUS you get a remagnetization of the driver at no additional charge, something it probably needs by now.

    PLUS you pay NO MORE for them to do it than if you bought the part and did it yourself, other than shipping, of course.

    To me, it's a no-brainer: Ship it to Bill at GPA and let him do it. Then you know it's RIGHT

  3. #3
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Do an archive search for;

    repair diaphragm solder

    Added;
    Then get a new one. forums

    <font color="#FFFFFF" size="1">[ February 09, 2008 06:50 PM: Message edited by: bfish ]</font>

  4. #4
    Inactive Member acre's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 8th, 2003
    Posts
    80
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Many thanks guys. Where is GPA. I've heard talk of them (Bill) being fantastic at these things. I live 75 miles east of Toronto. Should I have both drivers sent? May as well.

  5. #5
    HB Forum Owner Todd W. White's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 5th, 2002
    Posts
    1,865
    Follows
    1
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

    Post

    Oklahoma City

    Would be wise to send both - that way they're the same.

    www.greatplainsaudio.com

  6. #6
    Inactive Member dgwojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 22nd, 2003
    Posts
    172
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Those phragms are very delicate and easy to screw up during repair. Suggestion, if sending them to GPA for replacement and alnico magnet recharge, I'd remove the phragms before shipping and keep them and the loading caps home, most "original" phragms come back damaged in transit. I can explain more via e-mail if you like, let's just say the old ones are returned rendered useless due to hardware shipped in the same containers. I'd also request shorter diaphragm screws, no loading caps, and felt dampers in the rear covers, Bill usually has the correct felt for these. Here's a link on diaphragm repair, good luck, Dave.

    Diaphragm Repair With Pictures

    <font color="#FFFFFF" size="1">[ February 10, 2008 01:01 AM: Message edited by: dgwojo ]</font>

  7. #7
    Inactive Member acre's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 8th, 2003
    Posts
    80
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Thanks to all who chimed in on this topic. I decided to ship these off to Bill today. Both drivers went. I had a chat with him by phone. Nice fellow and I am confident he'll restore these drivers to original factory specs or better. His prices are good and the shipping from the east side of Toronto to his place is $66.00 (Cdn), return. This is via UPS. I'll let you know how they sound when they return. Bill says less than a week. Talk soon....Lee

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.